Saturday, September 30, 2006
Just Enough is More


Thursday, Milton Glaser came to BYU in conjunction with the AIGA and BYU Department of Visual Arts. I went, but I didn't get as good a seat as Paul or as good pictures as Matt (I got there just in time for one of the last standing spots on the balcony). But I did take a few notes. His ideas on appreciating art and the impact of drawing on life and personal development were awesome. BYU normlly makes transcripts of these types of events available shortly thereafter. If they do, though, I'll be sure to post it. In the meantime, here are a few of my favorite quotes from the night:

"I think it's one of my articles of faith that I don't work with people I don't like."


"My instinct is to go as far as I can go before before people will say 'That guy's a fraud.'"


When Stephen Heller asked him about finding a niche or specializing in a certain area of design (books, web, whatever), Milton gave a great answer. In summing up his thoughts that people shouldn't necessarily limit themselves to any one area of design, he said:

"I always thought if people knew what you did, they'd have power over you."


and finally, in the open Q&A, someone asked what he thought was his greatest accomplishment.

"My greatest accomplishment? Longevity."
-Milton Glaser
posted by Brett Crockett @ 10:30 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger steph k said…

    [random noter]

    That really was a great lecture! I have tons of notes from it, but I didn't get any pictures (forgot my camera).

    cheers.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me


Home:Bountiful, UT
Home Page
My Profile
My Flickr

Most Recently...
My Recent Posts
The Good (or bad) News:
Cooler sites than mine
My Older Posts