Monday, September 18, 2006
Comm Arts

So we're back to posting works in progress.

This is a mock-up of an idea I had for a Comm Arts ad for students. The deadline was 9AM and I'd expected to do it over the weekend... It turned out last week was one of the most eventful weeks of my life and I wasn't able to work on it. Midnight Sunday with no ideas and no time. Against my better judgment (considering I'm even less of a morning person than I am a body-builder), I decided to set the alarm for 4AM.

In the mental fog of an early morning all my ideas seemed brilliant-but as the sun came up, I became less sure. But when there's a deadline, I guess you do your best and leave the rest up to the toner cartridges. So, here's the pitch.

Basically, students get a killer price on subscriptions ($39/yr). My first thoughts were for self-depreciating lines such as "Sick of being bombarded with advertisements? Pay to see them again" and "At least Visual Arts students understand our picture books."

In the end I decided to go the safe route and just play with the price. There's really not much strategy behind it, and it certainally doesn't "have legs," but this is what turned up. The idea to use the cover of Comm Arts as the visual (and to show it was the magazine students would get for "free") came between giving up (going back to sleep) at 6, and waking back up at 7.

Moral of the story: I think better in my sleep.
posted by Brett Crockett @ 9:30 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I love this ad! Good work. Great concept.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me


Home:Bountiful, UT
Home Page
My Profile
My Flickr

Most Recently...
My Recent Posts
The Good (or bad) News:
Cooler sites than mine
My Older Posts