Monday, March 21, 2005
Arches
BYU doesn't get Spring Break. It's a great way to keep that GPA cap without forcing professors to impose arbitrary grade letter quotas that students would likely rebel against. So, instead of giving a few days for students to nurse their spring fever, catch up on projects, and prepare for the final push before finals-- the university keeps trudging on. Inflated grades slowly artophy like a helium balloon weeks after the birthday has passed.
I was ready for a break anyway and decided to go with the Y-Rocks climbing club to Moab for the weekend. To be honest, I thought climbers would be different from the infamous BYU tunnel singing type. I was wrong. Until 3AM or so, they were standing around the fire singing Ice Cream Popping on the Apricot Tree...or whatever that song is.

Anyway, it was cool to sleep out under the stars at the foot of red rock cliffs. We woke up, packed up, and took off to fix Carrie Anne's tire (I think a snake bit it) and have breakfast at the Pancake Haus in "downtown" Moab. It was good, good food. Then we went to Wall Street to do some climbing. It was a really cool spot to climb--especially since the cliffs pop right up off the side of the road. The Colorado River is very brown.

After we'd had enough of the 'Cougar climbing experience', Carrie Anne and I headed off to Arches and hiked to Delicate and Landscape Arches. Delicate was definitely the more spectacular of the two. The trip pretty much rocked. It was nice to relax and drive and charge up for the rest of the semester, even though it was more of a "pseudo spring break" than an all out spring break.

So, I'm back and it's life as usual in Provo. KSL Radio was supposed to let me know by Friday if I got the OEC job, but my phone was roaming and then died in Moab, so I decided I'd give them a call Tuesday if I didn't hear from them by then. Around 5 tonight, though, I got a call and they offered me the job--so I'm now officially an employee of KSL.

I'm still trying to get a hold of Todd at X96 to see if I can work something out there for their open Board Operator position and oh- has anyone realized Wendy's raised their prices on the Jr. Bacon Cheese Burger? I guess all good things must come to an end. Speaking of- I was hoping the climber-tunnel singers would have come to an end a little earlier Friday night, but I guess it was never a good thing to begin with.
posted by Brett Crockett @ 7:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Jai said…

    Delicate Arch - Moab......

    One of the most amazing places I have ever been to.

    Damn it - I'm from Australia and now you make me want to be back in Utah.....

    Nice photo by the way. Hope you didnt fall into the natural bowl just below.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Jai said…

    PS. I stayed at Delicate Arch to watch the sun set and was amazing. The downside being i had to hike 4 miles back to my car with nothing in only shorts and tshirt (and man does it get cold in the Utah desert once the sun sets) and by the light of only my 'running low on batteries' penlight mag lite.

    Hope you enjoyed the park.

    J

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me


Home:Bountiful, UT
Home Page
My Profile
My Flickr

Most Recently...
My Recent Posts
The Good (or bad) News:
Cooler sites than mine
My Older Posts