Thursday, April 19, 2007
The More You Know


I discovered something amazing today. And given some time, I think libraries could change the world.

I know they've been around for a while now, I even went inside one in college when I was hiding from a guy trying to get me to sell security systems in Chicago (it's one of the best markets available). But I didn't really know what they were all about.

I needed to get a book. The problem was that Whittney and I are on the sort of budget that doesn't allow for spending money. On anything. So it was either steal a book from Barnes & Gnoble or try the library. Stealing is on my list of things to try not to do along with running red lights and...basically running at all. So with nowhere left to turn, I broke down and went to the library.

In short, I was amazed. First, the xeriscaping and archetecture of our branch is pretty impressive. The you get inside and there are tons of books. But not just books- there's internet, magazines, newspapers, art, and even DVDs and CDs. The best part? They're all free. And instead of having a librarian check them out for you, you set them on a pad, insert your card, and the books/cds/dvds you're renting instantly show up on a touch screen monitor and out prints a receipt. Amazing.

So why go to Blockbuster? Why go to Greywhale? Why go anywhere other than from your couch to the library and back?

I never learned to use the Dewey Decimel System, so I couldn't find the book I needed- but how about this for progress? Yesterday I thought the internet would kill libraries off. Today, I'm a card-carrying member sitting at home with 3 free DVDs.
posted by Brett Crockett @ 10:00 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger tabo said…

    Hey Brett,

    I know that people don't really comment on your blog, and that we don't really know each other, but I've got to say that you're a dang genius. Seriously, I love reading your posts. Hilarious. I just hope you don't mind that I'm virtually stocking you.

    Darron (Kristen Alley Johnson's husband)

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Brett Crockett said…

    Thanks, Darren- I appreciate the comments. And I really, really appreciate you emphasizing that nobody comments on my blog. You'd be supprised, though, at the number of creeps who read without commenting. A guy named "Rath of Buns," for example.

    No problem though, in addition to a fearsome maltese watchdog, I'm also looking into the purchase of the Springfield XD 40.

    I'm also looking for a job becasue my wife says unemployed boys can't buy guns.

    Anyway, good to hear from ya. Tell Kristen hello, and sorry for toilet-papering her house back when we were in high school. It wasn't all my idea.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brent I didn't even know you had a blog until just barely. And I read it without commenting. Libraries are awesome! There's one around the corner from my place and I love it.

    I'm glad that you graduated! You deserve a major pat on the back.I knew you'd finish one day:)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Ashley said…

    Brett,

    You are funny, I agree.

    --And I really like that 'tabo' said he is "stocking you..."

    Is that like adding you to a portfolio to diversify?

    The end.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Brett Crockett said…

    Thanks Ash. Either that or he's puting me back on the shelf.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me


Home:Bountiful, UT
Home Page
My Profile
My Flickr

Most Recently...
My Recent Posts
The Good (or bad) News:
Cooler sites than mine
My Older Posts