Tuesday, March 13, 2007
After 2 Months...

Photo by WhittneyLynn

Holy smokes. It's been two months since Whittney and I got married. It seems like it's been 2 days but at the same time it feels like it's been forever. In a good way.

We've moved into a cool little apartment in Draper, and are having the time of our lives. In fact, if you're planning on making a trip to the new Ikea, make a weekend of it and come stay with us. We have carpet for you to sleep on.

A few family and friends have been asking to see pictures, so I've put together a slideshow with pictures from our engagement, wedding, and honeymoon- you can see those pics by clicking here.

Anyway, a couple months ago when we returned from our honeymoon, I sat down to write about some of the things I'd learned. Something came up, though, and I never actually wrote anything. In the meantime, I've forgotten most of what I learned- but here's a quick attempt to recap what I do remember.

1- The "Island Lifestyle" you see portrayed in most movies and on tourism commercials from Jamacia is a myth. It's a fairy tale with maybe-maybe a toe in reality. The country's landscape and ocean is beautiful, but the living conditions are so 3rd world, I was shocked. We took a jeep safari though a decent chunk of the country, and were able to see what things were really like. The true island lifestyle seems to consist of sitting in the gutter surrounded by garbage with bare feet and a joint. Honestly, it was an eye-opener. The poverty is amazing, and quite obviously a result of the rampant drug trafficing. We swam in a jungle river, and stood under what some believe is a waterfall, and the jungle was beautiful. But the cities were actually shanty towns, and the people in the streets looked hopeless. Whittney and I agreed we were glad we went. It was an educational experience. But we both decided Jamacia was not a place we'd return.

2- A cruise is one of the best vacations there is. I was skeptical at first. I'd been to Europe and Belize, all over Utah and a good part of the United States, but never on a cruise. I figured they were for the old folks, and I preferred backpacking or road trips. After our first day on Royal Caribbean, I changed my mind. It was amazing. Let me just make a few points:

  • Free food
  • Free room service
  • You can have as many entrees as you want
  • You can eat as much steak as you want
  • You don't have to eat fruit or vegetables
  • You can have as many desserts as you want
  • You don't have to worry about finding a hotel
  • You don't have to worry about finding transportation
  • If you get an interior room, you can sleep for 24 hours without being awakened by the sun
  • You don't have to make your bed
  • You don't have to hang up your towel
  • You are your own boss
  • You'll see places you'd probably never see otherwise
  • The ship is so big, you probably won't see all of it
  • The ship is so big, you probably won't have time to do all the activities on it
  • Even though the ship is so big- you never feel crowded
  • It's the most relaxing vacation I've ever been on

  • Seriously, I'm sold. It was great.

    3- And finally:
    Marriage is way better than anyone ever said it would be.
    posted by Brett Crockett @ 1:58 PM  
    1 Comments:
    • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Nice picture! I'll throw my vote in for a cruise too. That looks like Grand Cayman, right?

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     

    About Me


    Home:Bountiful, UT
    Home Page
    My Profile
    My Flickr

    Most Recently...
    My Recent Posts
    The Good (or bad) News:
    Cooler sites than mine
    My Older Posts