Friday, December 09, 2005
Ogden: The Next Great Ski Town?


There's a town...a city that used to be the city in Utah. Now, its a seemingly neglected industrial city that's become known as Utah's crime center. But lately they've been puting a lot of effort into becoming the next big destination in skiing.

Ogden was apparently a cool place a long time ago. It was the filming location of: downtown Everwood, Drive Me Crazy, Con Air, The Sandlot, Three O'Clock High (mostly at Ogden High School), and Fletch.

But that's not all- it was also the birthplace of The Osmonds, John Moses Browning, J. Willard Marriott, and of course Bill Allred of X96. Despite that impressive resume though, the town seems to have died over the years. Bill is the only person I've heard mention it still exists, and I'm suprised even he remembers it.

Then, today a friend at work gave me a skiing magazine and I flopped open to an article I'm amazed I'd heard noting about until now.

Already companies including Descente, Scott, and Goode have moved their headquarters or established offices in Ogden in anticipation of what some believe will be the next big thing. The plan is to build a $50 million gondola from the Ogden floor to "Malan's Basin," a non-existant (as of now) 1,400 acre ski resort that "falls off the northwest-facing expert glades and ridges of Mount Ogden."

Sound crazy? Possibly, but in 2004, Descente bet their company on it by moving to Ogden in anticipation. Maybe the crazy thing is that it seems nobody in Utah has even heard of these plans--despite the fact Matthew Godfrey, Ogden's mayor, has been talking about the projected 2007 opening date, saying "the potential is unprecedented."

Look out Jackson Hole.
posted by Brett Crockett @ 2:00 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me


Home:Bountiful, UT
Home Page
My Profile
My Flickr

Most Recently...
My Recent Posts
The Good (or bad) News:
Cooler sites than mine
My Older Posts